I want to give a big welcome to J. Sterling, my very first author friend. Her book, THE OTHER GAME, went LIVE today! If you loved The Perfect Game, you need to get this book. If you haven’t read The Perfect Game, you still need to get this book! Comment on this post for a chance to win a signed copy!
Okay, let’s get started with this interview! I think we should get the most important question out of the way first.
- What’s your son, Blake, doing right now? Tell him I said, “Hi, Blake.” LOLOLOLOL- He just walked in the door from school and is going to baseball practice. He says “Hi Colleen, I love you.” You two… *shakes head*
- So, you have a new book out today, congrats! How many books does this make for you?
Ooooh, *counts on fingers*… 10! This is my tenth book release (I’m a slow writer)! J
- Can you tell us what this book is NOT about?
This book is not about bears. Or llamas. Or step-brothers. Or billionaires. Or my son Blake.
- Can you tell us what this book IS about? The Other Game, which released TODAY GET IT HERE, is not a simple retelling of The Perfect Game, although it does follow that timeline exactly. It is TPG through Dean Carter’s eyes, but it’s almost a whole new book. Very, very few scenes repeat themselves in this story. If you loved, liked, or even simply enjoyed The Perfect Game, then this is a must read. It’s been 3 years since TPG came out- it’s time to live through it again… this time through the adoring younger brother. Get your read on. Available at all retailers. J
- You and I have been friends for a long time. In fact, you were my very first friend in this industry. I like you. This is not a question.
I think about that all the time. How much you like me. Lol No, I think back to when it seemed like it was just us talking every day and how much has changed and how much fun we used to have in those crazy group emails on facebook and how I’m so glad that we’re still close and good friends. I love you. And that’s more than “like,” so I win.
- I said number four wasn’t a question, but you answered it anyway. You don’t follow instructions well. You rebel. And while we’re on the subject, some might say you don’t hesitate speaking your mind about this industry. What topics are you most passionate about and why?
I’m passionate about things that I feel are right versus wrong. I’m passionate about not screwing over our readers, or doing shady things that will affect the industry as a whole just to get ahead. I grew up working in the entertainment industry so I know all about people stepping on others for their own personal gain. I’ve never been that way in any job I’ve held (or in my personal life)… it’s not who I am. So I’m extremely opinionated about people who are that way. I don’t f’n like it.
- Are you voting for Kanye West in the 2020 Presidential race?
Probably not. But don’t tell him because his ego can’t handle it. (Him and I go way back)
- Dump out the contents of your purse and take a picture.
Are you high? No really, do you do drugs? Ugh, fine. I’ll do it (tarryn. Tarryn.)
- Who are a few indie authors you believe are underrated right now?Great question! And really hard honestly! And I feel like we’re all sorta underrated right now- it’s a tough business in general, but it seems to be continually getting tougher and tougher to stand out in a very oversaturated market. Even those who have been around far longer than most seem to be getting “lost” in the shuffle. Tara Sivec’s last 2 releases have been awesome. I just read R.K. Lilley’s latest and am dying for the next book in the series. Claire Contreras books are always just plain enjoyable. K.A. Linde just created an entire fantasy world that I loved and cannot wait to see what comes next. Jillian Dodd’s upcoming book is all about fun and sometimes you just need a light, fun read.
- Who are a few indie authors you believe are overrated? I’m totally kidding. Please don’t answer this question.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHA dammit Hoover.
- Why do you think readers are drawn to your books?
Hmmmm… I think it’s because I try to write my stories as realistic as possible and I think that helps make them seem more relatable. I like people to finish my book with a smile on their face and also feel like “that could totally happen.”
- Let’s play psychic. Print books have been all the rage for centuries. Now ebooks are on the rise and taking over. What do you think will be the primary reading source 100 years from now?
Whatever they end up doing with music, books will follow. So maybe there will be some weird electronic thing that is attached to our body and freaking reads for us, so we don’t have to do ANY of the work. Because honestly, I think the movie WALL-E is where our future is heading and that terrifies the living crap out of me. But tell me you don’t see it? We’re already half way there.
- What’s your favorite word to type? Fuckerbitch. Not as fun to say out loud. Super fun to type and read.
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you?
I don’t really get embarrassed to be honest… it takes A LOT for that to even remotely happen (I’m usually the one embarrassing people). But I do have a great story that should have embarrassed me…. I was working at a radio station and Mark Wahlberg was coming in. We all had to get on the station bus and drive to like a meet and greet where Mark could meet his fans… uh… lol.. so everyone’s on the bus (mark included) and I’m one of the last people to get on. Everyone is watching me because you know, you watch people as they get onto the bus when you’re just sitting there… So, I flip my hair off my shoulder and suddenly my hair is YANKED back and my head goes flying backward and I can’t move. There was fan on the bus and I literally tossed my hair into it! LOL
- I’m still laughing about that. At least it wasn’t Drake. You love Drake like I love Harry. Which leads me to my next question…if you were going to have me and Harry Connick Jr. over to your house for a cozy dinner, what would be the go-to dish you would cook for us?
That’s so cute that you think I would cook for you. If you wouldn’t let me buy us all Taco Bell (or pizza) for dinner, then I suppose I’d make you some cheesy Italian dish… cause that’s about all I do well in the kitchen. Except for baking that is. I make a mean homemade cupcake.
- Who is your favorite author? Favorite book?
Really?!?!!?! I don’t think I have a favorite author to be honest. And since I started in this business, I’ve found that I enjoy reading our Indie (or past Indie) authors a lot more than those who have been traditionally published their whole career. But that’s not to say that I don’t enjoy traditionally pubbed books, because I do. I loved Love Letters to the Dead, Anna and the French Kiss and 13 Reasons Why. Those are all traditionally published YA titles though (I’m seeing a trend here). To be honest, I like books that I think are well written and speak to me on some level.
- If you could spend a day with Drake, what would the two of you do?
HAHAHAHAHHAHA! HAHAHAHHAHAHA! Well, we’d make out a lot. In his car. In my car. In his pool. In his grotto. On the waterslide. Unless within 5 minutes of having a conversation with him he said something stupid or irritating… then we’d do nothing because I’d have left.
- Okay, I saved the best question for last. What’s your absolute favorite thing about me? Obviously I only like you for your looks…. and your video taking abilities. LOL But honestly, how can I have only one favorite thing about you? You’re the whole package when it comes to humans and I like it all.
That’s sweet, J! You’ll get your check in the mail soon. 😉 If you don’t follow J. Sterling on Facebook, you should! She’s hilarious!
For those of you who want a chance at winning a signed copy of this book, all you have to do is comment on this post. Comment with anything. It doesn’t even have to make sense.